Custom and Prefabricated Orthotics
Custom and Prefabricated Orthotics: Deciding Which Is Right for You
At Dynamic Prosthetics & Orthotics, we are proud to offer both custom and prefabricated orthotics. One of the most common questions we get from patients is which option is likely to be best for them. Would a prefabricated orthotic design work for you? Or do you need to opt for more of a custom design? Read on to learn more about the different types of orthotics and what to expect either way.
The Importance of Custom and Prefabricated Orthotics
Whether you need custom orthotics or prefab orthotics, know that our team at Dynamic Prosthetics & Orthotics is all about delivering a solution to your condition. Here are some reasons that orthotics are important—whether they end up being custom or prefabricated.
- They help treat many different conditions: Orthotics are important for improving function of the foot and ankle, providing better support, reducing injury risk and more. Our team has successfully used both custom orthotics and prefabricated orthotics to treat a range of conditions, including issues related to arthritis, diabetes, congenital factors, joint instability, neuromuscular injuries, stroke and more.
- They deliver both short-term and long-term benefits: Orthotics can yield both short-term and long-term gains for patients. Individuals experiencing a lot of pain and discomfort in their feet, ankles or legs can find relief by wearing orthotics. For diabetes patients, orthotics can help reduce pressure on the feet and prevent serious foot ulcers. The list of benefits goes on and on but suffice to say that these medical devices play very important roles every day—from improving comfort to enhancing mobility, all the way to helping to prevent foot amputation.
Benefits of Custom Orthotics or Prefab Orthotics
Both custom orthotics and prefabricated orthotics have their fans, and both can deliver major benefits in certain situations. Here are a few factors to consider.
- Each type of orthotic is used to treat different conditions: At Dynamic Prosthetics & Orthotics, you will find that we use different types of orthotics to treat different conditions. For instance, a Supra Malleolus Orthosis is a custom orthotic that is ideal for someone with soft, flexible or flat feet. Orthotics for things like sports or ankle bracing, meanwhile, are typically prefab.
- Our team is going to make sure you get the right orthotic: The debate over whether custom orthotics are better than prefab orthotics (or vice versa) often concerns factors such as pricing or clinical studies of effectiveness. The fact is that what works best for one patient might not work for every patient—especially when they have completely different conditions. Our team is going to take good care of you and make sure you get the best orthotic to suit the condition you are trying to improve.
- We manufacture our custom orthotics in-house: We carry trusted prefabricated orthotics brands such as Dr. Comfort and OrthoBrace, but we also cast and manufacture our own custom orthotics in-house. Since the people who make your custom orthotics are the same people assessing your condition and taking your measurements, you can expect an orthotic that is perfectly fitted to you.
Why Dynamic Prosthetics & Orthotics Is Cost-Effective
At the end of the day, custom and prefabricated orthotics are both great; you just need to find the right option for you. Our services are cost-effective in this department, as we go above and beyond to ensure that you have the right orthotics the first time. You may also be eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme, which you can learn more about on our NDIS page. Contact us today if you have any questions.